Submit a winning poem by September 15, 2010, and you could snag an easy $100.
The only caveat is that you have to live in Kansas or Missouri.
Read the details below. I copied/pasted them from the original Writer’s Place post at – http://www.writersplace.org/default.aspx?PageID=107. Visit this site for questions or further details, and GOOD LUCK!!
Davis Grove Haiku and Nature Poetry Contest
“Words to Weigh”
The Port Authority of Kansas City, MO
1100 Walnut Street, Suite 1700, Kansas City, MO 64106 Ph: 816-691-2137
• The contest is open to all residents of Kansas or Missouri.
• Submissions will be received by email only.
• Submit no more than three (3) poems as an email attachment. Submission of more than three poems will disqualify all poems from consideration.
• Submissions will be blind. Submit a cover letter with name, address, phone number and email address, with the irst line of each poem submitted, as a separate email attachment. Do not put identifying information on the poems themselves.
• Submit poems and separate cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Submissions must be the original work of the author and be unpublished.
• Submissions must be no longer than four lines.
• Subject matter of submissions should relate to themes such as rivers or other area waterways, docks, wharfs, the riverfront Heritage Trail, and other nature-based images suitable for poetry similar to (but not limited to) haiku and relating to the mission and goals of the KC Port Authority. (see http://www.kcportauthority.com
*The Port Authority’s mission is “to enhance the economic vitality of Kansas City, MO, as a redevelopment entity through transportation, trade, commerce and riverfront development within the statutory authority granted by the State of Missouri and the City of Kansas City.”
The Writers Place is “a literary community center, library and gathering place for writers and readers. Since 1992, our role has been to provide support, resources, guidance and inspiration for those in our region who care about the word as art.”
The Port Authority of Kansas City of Kansas City, MO and the Writers Place have partnered to give Kansas City poets the opportunity for their words to inspire and sustain those who walk or ride the Riverfront Heritage Trail.*
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: SEPTEMBER 15, 2010
WINNERS: Four winning entries will be selected. Each winning entry will receive a $100.00 prize; each winning poem will be engraved onto a historic concrete barge anchor to be situated in Davis Grove within the Riverfront West area along Riverfront
Heritage Trail in Kansas City, Missouri. Winners will participate in the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Davis Grove project in the Fall of 2010.